Success means many things to many people. What does it mean to you? How do you define it? To some it means financial wealth, to some the achievment of a goal and still to others a claim to fame. There’s no right answer…no one answer. But after thinking for a little bit on the subject, I’ve decided to list some of the top definitions on what others, as well as I, have found it to be.
10. The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted.
9. An ongoing realization and obtainment of worthy desired results, concerning actions, life, business, wealth, or a worthy ideal.
8. Success is largely about keeping your promises.
7. The accomplishment of goals and objectives necessary to achieve a particular task, realize a particular dream or satisfy a particular need or want, for a particular period of time.
6. If your success is not on your own terms, if it looks good to the world but does not feel good in your heart, it is not success at all.
5. To live your life in a way that causes you to feel a ton of pleasure and very little pain – and because of your lifestyle, have the people around you feel a lot more pleasure than they do pain.
4. Knowing your purpose in life, growing to reach your maximum potential, and sowing seeds that benefit others.
3. 80% of success is showing up
The next 2 are my personal favorites…
2. To laugh much; to win respect of intelligent persons and the affections of children; to earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give one’s self; to leave the world a little better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition.; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm, and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived–this is to have succeeded.
1. Success is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Now to attempt to emulate another’s definition of success is such to chase after the wind for we all must find what it means to us individually. The above list is by no means comprehensive or ranked with much thought (except the last 2 which I whole heartedly enjoy!). So to you I ask…“What is Success?”
Just some “Food Forethought.” Please feel free to post your definition below and share it with others.
By Micah Davis